This buttery, salty pea dish is a side that belongs on all dinner tables. Not only it simple to make, but it's also simply splendid.
- 2 lbs. assorted field peas (pink eye, lady, zipper, or butter beans)
- 1/4 lb. unsalted butter, diced and kept cold
- 1/2 cup Red Clay Original
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- Kosher salt
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the peas, bring back to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer the peas until tender and creamy, six to eight minutes.
- Drain the peas, reserving one half cup of cooking liquid, and return both back to the pot.
- Whisk in the butter until melted.
- Stir in the Red Clay Original and chives.
- Season with salt to taste and serve.
Recipe for Charleston Magazine, "A Saucy Celebration with Red Clay Hot Sauce." Photography by Peter Frank Edwards.