This recipe essentially is a "how-to" tutorial for THE most flavorful chicken straight from our own Chef Geoff
. The kale pesto adds the best of the best garlicy, nutty taste that melts onto the chicken and into your mouth!
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 1 Kale, stem removed (in Charleston, our farmers grow beautiful Red Russian kale which is my preferred.
- 1 bunch Italian flat leaf partsley
- ½ cup pine nuts, almonds, or cashews (whatever is on hand!)
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 each cloves garlic
- 2 oz parmesan
- 2 T Butter
- TT Red Clay Spicy Peach Honey
- Using scissors, cut out the spine of the chicken and flatten.
- Lightly salt the skin on a pan and set aside.
- To make the pesto, first blanch the kale in boiling, salted water fro roughly 20 seconds—it will be somewhat dependent on how young and tender the kale is.
- For more hearty, mature kale, increase cooking time. “Shock” in ice water.
- In a food processor, add in and pulse kale and parsley until finely chopped.
- Using a microplane, add in garlic and parmesan. Blend with nuts and drizzle oil in.
- For the chicken, pat dry the moisture on the skin.
- On a hot grill or in a cast iron, add oil and place chicken skin side down (putting a weight on top “al mattone” or “under a brick” style.
- When the skin is golden brown and crispy, flip, glaze with honey (add butter if in cast iron), and finish cooking until the chicken registers 160 degrees in the thigh.
- Remove from heat, and serve chicken on top of pesto. Drizzle with Spicy Peach Honey to finish.
Blistered beans with hot honey, cashews, and chiles